Friday, September 19, 2008

MY BAGS ARE PACKED...


...I'm ready to go!

In the morning we are off for a vacation in Colorful Colorado.



This trip will be all about family and friends. Kevin (aka. my husband) is a Denver native and has friends and family spread up and down the front range. I moved to Colorado in 1987, with my younger brother, who still lives there, and spent 15 years before returning to my home state.

This will be a long post...so for those of you who don't have time or desire to read the rest...here is my Shadow Shot.


It's a framed vintage postcard of Red Rocks Amphitheater. Red Rocks is a part of the Denver park system known as a mountain park. Positively one of the very best places for an outdoor concert on the planet! Should you ever find yourself in Colorado in summer I strongly encourage you to see a concert there!

In thinking of what I would like to post on before my 10 day blog break...I thought I would like to do a bit of a tribute to one of Kevin's family members that I never had the pleasure of meeting...his grandfather James Bible.

Jimmy, as he was called by many, was the Denver Parks supervisor from 1937 to 1970. For the 16 years prior to that he worked for the parks department in other capacities, giving the parks of Denver nearly 50 years of service. Bible Park at Yale ave. and Pontiac was named in his honor.

Although I have no statistic from those years, parks have always played a big roll in the lives of Denver's citizens. Today...
Denver has over 4,000 acres of traditional parks and parkways which include 2,500 urban natural acres, over 300 acres of parks designated Rivers & Trails and an additional 14,000 acres of spectacular mountain parks. You will find a variety of amenities, including picnic areas, jogging paths, recreation centers, hiking trails, or playground equipment.



One of the things I am excited to see while in Denver is the fountain in City Park.


This is a newspaper article about the fountain in Ferril lake in Denver's City Park. It was created for the Democratic National Convention hosted by Denver in 1908. The photo is of work that took place on the fountain during Jim's tenure as parks supervisor. That's him on the left. In the years since, the fountain had fallen into disrepair. In my time there I never saw a functioning fountain. It was restored for this years DNC...and I look forward to seeing this historic fountain in action.

We inherited a box of Grandpa Bible's correspondence and other ephemera from his days as Parks Supervisor.


There are lots of letters of thanks from civic groups that were provided plants, from the Parks Greenhouses, for a variety of functions. Like this one from the National Home for Jewish Children. (click to enlarge pictures)


Or this from the Veteran Volunteer Fireman's Association.


Or this one from the University of Colorado.


And letters of thanks for assistance with events held in the parks, like this one from the Girl Scouts.


There are newspapers clippings and letters commenting on the beauty of the floral displays in the parks.




And interesting letters like this one from the Colorado State Prison Director involving some sort of baseball challenge.


Or this one that sheds light on the conditions during the Great Depression.


When I'm in Denver...I'll be visiting some of the city's parks...from the fountain in City Park, to Red Rocks, and the slopes of Winter Park (yes...in case you didn't know, the city of Denver parks system includes a ski area). I will take with me the memory of a man I never knew, and I will be thankful for his years of stewardship, and to others like him, that have left so much beauty for us all to enjoy.

"See" you when I get back!!

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Lisa B.
Lisa's RetroStyle™

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin