Thursday, October 16, 2008

SIDE TRACKED...again

When I got up today...I had the best of intentions! I had my day all planned out...or so I thought. Part of the plan was to write a brilliant, thought provoking post on the "psychology of shopping 2nd hand"...a real think piece! But somewhere along the way I got sidetracked.

A few days ago a very nice man, by the name of Ken, sent me an email. I had met him this spring at the Allegan Show (you thought I was all done talking about that for this year didn't you...so did I). He had been admiring some doors I had on display...and was wondering if I still had them. Sure I did...buried about 6 feet deep! Those are them against the back wall in the middle.



It took about 2 hours for me to safely extract them. All the while taking a little trip down memory lane. This is what they were buried behind...







These are some of the things that got me started in earnest as an antique/junk/vintage dealer. (I hope I haven't told this story here before?!)

Although I've been an avid junker/collector for decades...I really jumped in the deep end when I heard the plans for the school next to our house. It was built in 1888.




It graduated its last class in the mid 1950's and had been used most recently by the Masonic order. When they disbanded, they donated the building to the local Congregational church. The church spent about a year saying they were going to tear it down...I spent the year trying to get them not to. But summer before last this is what they did...



Bye bye big beautiful historic building!

Before they demolished it they had a "garage sale". For a donation anyone could take whatever they wanted. Oh my lord! I want it all...intact! But that was not to be. Anything that was not removed would be buried in the hole.

So I made my donation, got my tools and spent the next two weeks dismantling everything I could until I ran out of space and energy.

I've been looking for new homes for all of it ever since. I was thrilled when Ken said he wanted the big entry doors! We made plans to meet about an hour from my house and I went to work getting the doors out and loaded.




These doors are just shy of 8 foot tall and a good 3 inches thick. Solid 120 year old pine. Now safely in the hands of someone who will cherish them! Thank you Ken!! I say that's a day well spent. The "think piece" can wait.

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Lisa B.
Lisa's RetroStyle™

P.S. The Fantabulous Pat of Mille Fiori Favoiti gave me the nicest award the other day...



"Blogging Friends Forever"...how sweet is that! Pat authors a wonderful blog that is so enjoyable to read! She has the best tours of NYC (she lives in Brooklyn) and takes us with her on her many travels. Her blog is educational and fun to read. If you haven't visited her already...I highly recommend her. Thanks Pat! You've been a great blogging friend!!

The rules of this award are:
1. You may only chose 5 people/blogs to give the award to...
2. Four have to be dedicated followers of your blog...
3. One has to be a new follower of your blog or live in another part of the world...

I certainly appreciate everyone who stops by to read my ramblings! And I especially appreciate...
Sandra Ree
Tracy
M.Kate
Karla & Karrie
Charmaine
Thanks for all the supportive comments BFF's ;D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin