Wednesday, January 28, 2009

HODGEPODGE OF HAPPINESS

I don't know why I gave this post that title. Well, it is going to be about a variety of things, all of which have been making me happy. But as soon as I typed it in...my mind immediately went to "may the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose". Funny how minds work...or at least my mind.

Have you ever heard of the bluebird of happiness flying up your nose before? My dad used to always say that...and I never really knew why. Once I'd thought about it...I couldn't stop. Isn't that odd...in the decades I'd been hearing him say that I never questioned why till now? I had to go see if I could find out where that came from...other than my dad.

This is what I found...it was a song?! Did you know that? It was sung by "little" Jimmy Dickens. Peaked on the Billboard charts at #1 in 1965...or so my sources say. Here's the lyrics:

One fine day as I was a-walkin' down the street
Spied a beggar man with rags upon his feet
Took a penny from my pocket
In his tin cup I did drop it
I heard him say as I made my retreat

CHORUS
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"
"May an elephant caress you with his toes"
"May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose"
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"

The laundry man is really on his toes
Found a hundred-dollar bill among my clothes
When he called me I came a-runnin'
Gave him back his dime for phonin'
I heard him sayin' as I turned to go

CHORUS

I was way behind one day to catch the train
Taxi driver said "We'll make it just the same"
The speed cop made it with us
And as he wrote out the ticket
I stood by politely a-waitin' for my change

CHORUS



Now I'm wondering what the tune that went with it sounded like? I couldn't find it on "playlist.com"...or I'd have it playing right now:) I did find an equally silly song by Jimmy Dickens that I loaded on there...about cold taters?! Those are silly songs...and have absolutely nothing with what I was going to write about!

If you're still with me I'll move along...

When we got home from DC last week, this was in my mailbox...




I won another necklace from Two Dog Pond!! Rachel's necklaces are so fun loving and her "caption contest" is just a hoot! If you haven't played yet you should give it a try...go ahead...join in the silliness:-) You too could win a necklace...or two!

Second on my list of hodgepodge happiness is another treasury! Yay!! This totally atomic one...



...was created by Susan of Susan's FORDYCE MILL ANTIQUES. She has a cute little shop there with lots of vintage goodness...might want to check it out?! Thanks so much Susan for including me!!

Next up on my parade or happiness is this...



Now that's some prime treasure hunting territory...and that's just the basement. The local Lyon's club here in my Village...the only surviving "business" in town...has starting having a "flea market" on Sundays to augment their Saturday night Bingo.

I was too embarrassed to have them seeing me taking a photo of the upstairs. The men running it wonder what anybody would want with all that crap to start with...let alone why anyone would want a picture of it! Maybe I'll get up my nerve next Sunday. I'm pretty much their biggest/only customer. It's been going on for a month or so and they are starting to point out choice digging areas..."there's a box full of old glass juicers down there somewhere...try that pile at the bottom of the stairs". Thanks guys...don't mind if I do.


Anyone have any use for a 1972 TV Guide? It's in very good condition?!



How 'bout a little something for the dog lovers...



Anywho, what I found there this week added to my happiness. A much smaller haul than I've brought home from previous visits there...but I was pleased.





I love this picture! It's a three D kind of effect...all dimensional. It's marked and dated...looks like 1941. Unfortunately the markings are mostly below the frame level. I'll have to take it apart to read it. I can't believe how perfect it is. It just has one little nick to the surface of the print. Very unique...I haven't seen a raised one like that.


I got a whole box of these dishes. I've seen the pattern before...but don't know the name. It's from Homer Laughlin...Rhythm line. If anyone knows the pattern name...shout it out!


I adore this fabric! I am so sick of the cold this winter...those little crocuses are just calling out to me. I can't wait to see my real ones popping up thru the snow!



Well I think I'm all happied out. How 'bout you? Any thing making you feel especially happy these days?

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Lisa B.
Lisa's RetroStyle™

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin