Friday, March 27, 2009

HANDMADE WITH A HISTORY

I have a special fondness for old handmade things. I even have a section in Lisa's RetroStyle Vintage Craft & Supply devoted to vintage handmade items (meaning things that were made by hand at least 20 years ago). It's interesting to me to think that, over time, all of the handmade items being sold on Etsy today will fall into this category. Even my own handcrafted hats and bags.

For reasons I find difficult to understand our industrialized society has often valued mass produced over handmade. I'm sure a whole book could be (or maybe has been) written on the psychology behind this phenomenon. However, with the growing popularity of Etsy, handmade seems to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance. I certainly hope it continues.

To my way of thinking nothing is more valuable than something someone took the time to make by hand. The very nature of making things by hand means that it is one of a kind. No two will be exactly the same and that fact makes it extra special to me.

I have an extra extra special fondness for old things that were made by people I've known. I get all warm and fuzzy thinking of friends and family, "back in the day", putting their hand to a creative endeavor. Take this coat for example.



My grandmother made this coat for me by hand when I just a little girl. The detail and quality of the work is just amazing. The love that goes into something handmade...it really is just priceless.



I am so thankful to my mother for keeping this coat for all these years. I obviously view it as a work of art.



When my grandmother went into a nursing home a number of years back. I put the coat in the shadow box, with a photo of her in younger days...



...and this tag.



It hung in her room at the nursing home serving as a reminder to herself and others of the talented woman she was. Since her passing this winter it has come back to me and hangs in our dinning room with other family photos and treasures.

Does handmade with a history make you feel warm and fuzzy? Do you have a special way of displaying and enjoying your vintage handmade treasures? I'd love to hear about them.

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Lisa B.
Lisa's RetroStyle™

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin