Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WHO KNEW?!

This may not be news to anyone but me...but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

I've been listing some vintage sewing patterns, in my little shop Lisa's RetroStyle Vintage Craft & Supply ~ Recreate, over the last couple of days. While working on the listing for this pattern...



...I noticed this little logo on the front.



I have to show my ignorance here...the first thing I thought of was "National Rifle Association". Why would a pattern company be doing their "part" to support guns?! I thought I'd better look into this one a little closer. Here's what I found...

"The National Recovery Administration (NRA) was a New Deal agency in the United States. Created under the National Industrial Recovery Act in 1933, it was one of the first major pieces of the New Deal program of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The NRA allowed industries to create "codes of fair competition," which were intended to reduce "destructive competition" and to help workers by setting minimum wages and maximum weekly hours. It also allowed industry heads to collectively set price floors."
~ Wikipedia

Aha...another high school history lecture missed while daydreaming out the classroom window!

Thank heavens not everyone was daydreaming.

"Between 1933 and 1936 DuBarry patterns were marked with the NRA logo to support the National Recovery Act. Because of their short production time they are harder to find and are considered highly collectible." ~ Cemetarian La Dolce Vintage

Check out these two NRA marked patterns.



Another Time Vintage Apparel


Heaven's to Betsy Vintage

Wow...check out those prices!

My pattern is missing 2 little pieces(collar and bow)so I'm sure that significantly decreases the value of my pattern. However, with what I paid for mine, I was going for a much more humble profit anyway. As always, I'm hoping that a small time collector, whose been jonesing for an NRA marked pattern, but been unable to afford one, will stumble upon mine. I get far more joy from passing on an affordable treasure, than from high profits.

I'm thinking I should make "who knew" a regular feature. Anyone out there interested in learning just how much I don't know?!

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Lisa B.
Lisa's RetroStyle™

P.S. I want to remind everyone about the Vintage Market Team Earth Day Salebration. Going on all week in celebration of Earth Day. I hope everyone reading this blog already knows that buying antique and vintage is the most fun you can have while decreasing your carbon footprint!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin