Friday, November 19, 2010

Automatic for the People

 I'm enjoying this little book...I knew I would.


LET'S BRING BACK An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By.

Just the title...I love it! Written by Lesley M. M. Blume. Here's a snippet from the "A's"... 


(click to enlarge)

Have you ever eaten in an Automat? I haven't. (Unless you count the rotating vending machines found in the basements of hospitals where the food is neither fresh nor easily identifiable.)

These dispensers are really lovely...so deco.

courtesy of The Automat

This dining room is amazing!


A book titled The Automat pays tribute to New York's Horn and Hardart’s Automat and includes recipes for dishes that were sold at the establishment.


Courtesy of Eclectic Thoughts

So, what do you think...should we bring back automats?


*** Two Dog Pond said...

Could I have one installed in my kitchen?

That thought had occurred to me as well...and as a matter of fact I believe you could. You may want to start by contacting this man...
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/stories-from-the-automat-machines-in-a-harlem-basement/


LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin